Every home needs some refreshment once in a while. And painting it the right way is the best way for this one. But the paint to paint a room is definitely not some of the easiest home improvement for you to do. It needs a great dose of awareness and the will to be very careful. Nevertheless there are plenty of ways to paint your home very nice and splendid. Here we will cover some of the best steps for painting your dwelling the right way.
- Protection. Not for you, at least not yet. Cover up the floor, the furniture and any other parts of the room which do not need to be painted in the new color. This way you won’t have to take out all the furniture in the other rooms before starting the painting.
You can use paper duct tape for the small parts and corners, plastic bags for furniture, but for the floors it is better to use fabrics and drop cloths. They are easier to maintain and will not stick to your feet like the plastic sheets.
- Make sure the surface is clean and even. That is what will make the painting a lot easier. The reason is that paint will not adhere to any kinds of dirty surfaces. You could clean the walls with a mop or swipe them with some old cloth or sponge. Make sure you reach all the corners of the wall.
- Preparations. The next important thing to do is to prepare the borders of the painting area. That includes removing the light bulbs, moldings, baseboards and window frames. Though it is a lot easier to cover them with paper duct tape in a very precise way. This way you will not lose any time for the preparation.
In case you are up to cover dark-colored walls with a lighter color you will probably need some coating. Do this if necessary but have in mind that you should probably leave a time between the coating and the actual painting. Usually it takes few hours.
You could skip this step if using more expensive paint, which covers better without using any primers for coating. If you happen to paint a light-colored wall with light or darker color you could probably skip the coating.
- The actual painting. On the verge of the actual painting you should have already chosen the right tools for the job. Use the brush or sponge tool and paint few inches around the borders of frames and other parts that should be differentiated from the base painting. After that start with the filling the central and biggest parts of the walls.
The easiest and fastest way if to do this with paint tray and a roller. Try to do this with special M- or W- shaped strokes. The important thing here is to try to put even quantity of paint everywhere. Do it twice if necessary.
- The wrapping up. In order not to throw out the paintbrushes and rollers, you should find a way to store them for the next painting if necessary. Since you want to do that simply rinse the paintbrushes and rollers under a faucet, until most or all of the paint is washed away. If there is some paint left in the tray, go on and put it back in the can and seal it well.
Rinse the tray as well. When the brushes are already dry, put them back into the original paper wrappers or simply fold a piece of paper around the bristles and tape it just to be sure it will not fall down.
- Cover your traces. Do this with moist rag or cloth and wipe out any traces from the splattered paint. Scrape the thing if necessary with some hard plastic card or a spatula, but be careful not to scratch the surface underneath.