We all associate kitchens with tasty food and delicious smell of cookies, the family get together celebrations and great memories. Yet, you might be surprised to find out, but the kitchen could be the dirtiest place in your home with dangerous bacteria living on your kitchen countertop, on the kitchen table or around the sink.
It could not be seen and it does not have an odor, but you should make everything possible so that your family lives a heathy life. So, which are the general tips that you can follow to get a safe kitchen area?
Be careful what you buy and bring in the house
Yes, in order to have a clean kitchen you should be careful what you are buying at the food store. The damaged and leaking cans and the jars with cracked lids will not only contaminate your kitchen cupboards but can cause a serious illness called botulism.
Furthermore, all vegetables and fruits, as well as the meat should be transported in separate bags and stored carefully in the fridge.
Save time when you do your kitchen cleaning
To save time you can combine a disinfectant and detergent, which will not only clean the kitchen but will also kill the germs. You can also apply sanitizer cloths on the door handles of the refrigerator, on the doorknobs, the remote controls, the computer. A good option is also the diluted chlorine bleach, which when set with water can perfectly clean the kitchen surfaces. Then you should rinse the surface with clean water.
Another wise thing would be to use paper towels when you need to wipe something that is expected to have germs in it. Forget about the sponges and the reusable towers or disinfect them in the dishwasher or in the washing machine.
Kitchen cleaning 101
- The kitchen sink – always drain it and keep it dry. Bacteria loves the wet food particles. At least once a week pour bleach down the drainage pipe.
- The oven – if it is a modern one with a self-cleaning feature, you should use it immediately after cooking.
- The hobs – apply non-abrasive cleaner and then wipe the dirt.
- The dishwasher – load it, but do not overload it as the washing will not be perfect and effective.
- The fridge – try to clan your fridge at least once a month with warm water and soap, and if there are spills clean the immediately. The abrasive cleaners are not good here.
- The microwave oven – wash the turntables that can be removed. To get rid of the odor wash the inside zone with 2 tablespoons on baking soda dissolved in water. Then dry it with paper towels.
- When you are cooking, remove your jewelry so that the bacteria do not collect and then live on your rings, watch, etc. Often change the cutting boards and prepare the raw food and the coked food on different surfaces. The best way to disinfect the cutting boards is in the dishwasher.
- Always cover the meal you are cooking with a lid – this will reduce the splattering and will save energy.
- Get rid of weak containers that can cause spills.